Wednesday, December 24, 2008

why i like jazz

Jazz, I love. There is no genre of music that can replace the amazing, profound, pristine and lazy feeling I get as I listen to jazz. It is the perfect romantic, friendly, sophisticated, or relaxing background noise. It makes any normal setting seem sexy, personable, witty, perfect, peaceful. With just a slight and easily made change of mindset I can turn my full attention to anything else, and then when I choose to, change to being completely immersed and overwhelmed and into the music. It can be that main event or the reason everything seems so peachy-keen. It can take my mind off things bothering me, or it can give my thinking time about that thing a bias towards laid-back ideas and easy ways out of predicaments, and makes dramatic decisions seem meaningless and natural. It is one of the few genres that actually lessens headaches, not increase the intensity of them.

Some jazz has lyrics, some jazz does not. Lyrics are rarely the main event of the piece, and it only adds another line of melody. But, if there are lyrics in a piece, then it is most likely due and well crafted, and thus should be paid close attention to.

Jazz is my personality, or at least how I want my personality to be or how I feel my personality is at my best. If every time you meet someone new, you could have them listen to some jazz instead of actually talking to them (assuming in this alternate reality that it would be normal to listen to a song instead of having conversation or making introductions, and not rude or odd in the slightest) then wouldn't that leave the coolest impression about yourself to that person? You would walk away looking like you knew how to do everything in the most efficient and stress-free way.

I like jazz because there is never any image in my mind while I listen to to any one song. Let me explain. When I listen to rock, I might visualize the band or myself playing the music, or think about the words and have a little scene or images running through my head, to help me visualize what it is saying and what it means. When I listen to jazz, I know it doesn't matter what it means, because it can apply to so many things, so I am allowed to focus on the feeling. When I focus on the feeling it gives me, I can think about when I have had similar feelings in my life, and am I often impressed by how well they portrayed this in the music, regardless of whether it was their specific intention or not to describe a similar situation or feeling.

I also like the genre of dance for the same reasons. Seeing as how it is danced to jazz music and portrays the same feeling to the viewer as the music alone would, I still like it because it is playful and seductive and relaxing and intricate and peaceful and uncaring.

Listen to some jazz today. Stream my favorite radio station. Get lost in the feeling, take a nap with it running.

I also like jazz because saxophone players and drummers are hot. =P

No comments: