Sunday, October 5, 2008

delayed interpretation

There are some things that you do not question. There are some things you have gotten so accustomed to from your entire life that are so familiar that even if they are not entirely understood, you're never shocked by them. The Star Spangled Banner is one of those things. I don't think I ever have tried to understand why they are saying the things that they are in the song, but I have now. I don't know why I began thinking about it, but I did.

"Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"

I never really saw the true patriotism in the lyrics. I never saw the pride and the happiness the author must have had. The last line is truly poetic. The image of a giant flag waving over the entire country, land of the free and home of the brave, is so inspiring and fantastical.

I've had pride in my school before, sometimes even my city, but never for my country. And I'm not saying I do now, but how could one not have any shred of patriotism for their country? On some level, even if I know the entire world hates the United States and that we are in an unjustified war and our economy is plummeting to the unfathomable deep, I see the aim when the country started, and I respect it. There are a lot of things and people I completely disagree with, but do honestly respect. And I think the emphasis on war in the Star Spangled Banner is a little unsettling in theory, but puts such a nice spin and view of it that it's OK.

At the minimum, I respect the author.

It's kind of a shame how lackadaisical so many Americans, including myself, are about their country. Sure, we may have good reason, or maybe it is influenced by the fact that so many of us are only 1st or 2nd generation Americans, but is it not righteous to root for your team even though it is a cheating, obese, oil guzzling team? Although the fact that so many different cultures are able to come together in "peace" and "harmony" is what emphasizes so much pride in our "free" country.

At the most, I love my country.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Aziza
I thought I would take a second and weigh in on your post, the words to this song are quite a bit more than just something that someone came up with, Francis Scott Key had gone to a ship in a harbor to Negotiate with the British for the release of prisoners that were onboard, he was detained overnight on the ship and witnessed the fight for fort McHenry. Those things he wrote about were going on around him so he probably didn’t have a tough time coming up with subject matter. It is also important to know that the captain at Fort McHenry had requested a very large flag for his Fort, he didn’t want the British to have any doubt as to who’s fort it was! The reality was that if this fort had fallen it could very well be possible that we would all be under British rule. I am grateful for this song and it brings tears to my eyes when I sing it because at one time in my life I was willing to give my life for this country, but it is important for you to know it was not for the wars or the economy but it was for our freedom, that right that we have to do what we want, to worship what we want, and the privilege that we have to elect those that we want to run our country, this country is far from perfect but it guaranties us rights that are not available in all places. Please remember this when you sing this song and remember all those that paid the greatest price to allow us to keep our freedom.

And a side note….it was your comment on McKayart.blogspot.com that brought me here, she is my daughter and I enjoy reading peoples comments on her blog, keep up your blogging, let others know who your are, you should always let others know where you stand, it the only way to keep your own moral compass!

Thanks
Dave

Monocle Barbie said...

Why thank you for the insight.