Tuesday, November 4, 2008

obama

Is it redundant for me to say? Does anyone not know what this day is and what America has accomplished in the advancement of political leadership? Barack Obama has won the United States' presidential election. *screams and shouts of excitement and celebration coming from yonder* So what does this mean? It means he beat the other guy!

My first political memory is this day 8 years ago, the announcement on TV that George W. Bush would be our next president. I remember my dad using some foul-ish language even in tame mode for the 7 yr. old in the room with him, and I didn't really understand. "It's not that bad, is it? How bad could it be? Why do you care so much?" were the things I was saying and thinking. Kind of ironic isn't it? My brother at the age of 10, I'm sure understood the situation better, but he wasn't foaming at the mouth. My entire political memory is the Bush administration. And because of this, I think that my generation does not know how much better a democratic executive branch would be, and does not take this factor into account when choosing their party and representatives. So many of my friends just recently of voting age did not even register. A week before, I asked if they were voting, and some replied "oh shit!". Some just said that they didn't know who they would vote for so why bother? And others didn't care, they would rather go to a movie with their girlfriend of 3 days and slobber all over her than take a little time to fill out an absentee ballot. My dad says that "things just start working better" under a democratic president and legislature. I don't doubt it, but there is definitely a bumpy road ahead to change and fix what has occurred. I'm sure most of us can agree with most of this.

And for my Canadian friends, I'm sure we will be playing nicer with the other kids in the sandbox. Who knows? Maybe we'll trade juice boxes at lunch with you and you can teach me how to play doctor the way you do. Maybe me and that Mexico girl will have a better agreement about the wall between our forts at playtime. You can explain to me why you have two mommies and together we will go out in the sun during recess instead of sitting in the corner digging holes like we used to. We'll make a great friendship, Canada.

No comments: