Monday, June 23, 2008

lines and dimensions

Sketching 3-D objects hurts my brain. The processing power to change a 3-D object in front of me into a 2-D picture under me makes it so.

3-D is much more 1-D than you think it is, if that makes any sense. But of course it doesn't, because I know nothing about dimensions. But also, because you're not thinking about it. The shading comes last in sketching, but without the shading on a shape (made of lines) which has a curved edge, the line does not look curved enough for some reason. One has to think very literally about what they are seeing and not get fooled from what they might see from a slightly different angle, or measure with a ruler.

While shading an object on a slightly reflective kitchen table, I got very confused. Why does this object have two shadows? Oh! A reflection, one is the reflection! Which one is the reflection? It didn't help that I also had multiple light sources, making my shadow blurry, and also having other things on the table such as my coffee cup casting other shadows making it confusing.

Also, using only a pencil to draw, without any intention of adding color, I have no idea how to differ the green from the yellow...they have exactly the same amount of brightness as each other. But I do want to distinguish between them, so I make the green a darker shade of gray. But now my shadows are screwed up, and I need to make the other shadow darker to compensate! It's all very confusing.

See? The straight lines and curved lines and shadows and reflections and different dimensions and color perspective have my brain so twisted that I was talking to myself as I squinted at the kitchen table distinguishing a shadow from a reflection. You can now see why my brain hurt.

But I like things like this, it's relaxing and stressful at the same time. I have as much time as I want, but it takes severe brain power. And all of this confusion came from doing a simple sketch of a banana. Sad, isn't it?

It didn't turn out too bad, only a little too non-rounded on the edges. I can't figure out how to make that better. I will attempt to use my scanner to share it with you.

No comments: