Sunday, August 24, 2008

brain stimulation

I finished approximately 18% of the last quarter of my summer homework. And yes, I probably should have been doing the rest of it instead of spending time making that estimate--and come to think of it writing this post--but I figure it's more fun toying with statistics and talking about the work I did than it is using the brain power to decipher Machiavelli's The Prince. With a little over a week to finish the rest before school starts, and a few other commitments to fulfill before summer ends, there's not much else in the way of summer fun...*sighs*

Reading "The Prince" I start talking more and more in the way that it is written. My dad interrupted my reading with a comment and I replied, "Of which I shall do henceforth!" I don't think I used the word henceforth correctly in the context, for I think it means more of "from now on" rather than "now", but it got the idea across in any case.

A little while back I went mostly through my mom's old psychology textbook and found everything so interesting that I decided to look more into it. So a few days ago I met a friend at the library and was looking around in the psychology section. I was stunned when he commented, "This is boring, let's go to the physics section," not only because I find psychology one of the most interesting things ever, but at the fact that he was interested in physics. When I told my mom about his comment I think it made him out as a better/smarter guy than she originally made him out as, and scoring points for my friends towards my parents always helps me out in the long run.

I checked out "The Interpretation of Dreams" and "A Universe of Consciousness" for further reading. At points while reading I would laugh out loud and think something like "Freud cracks me up." I don't think it would be anything particularly hilarious to you, but in my opinion almost anything can be of hilarity when looked at in the right manner.

I haven't gotten very far in either book because of the homework, but I will make an effort to read them. More to come on them and the reflection and discussion of their subjects.

No comments: