Saturday, September 6, 2008

la fiesta


Yesterday, my birthday party was quite enjoyable. I hugged and got hugged more than I can remember. The more hugs the better, as I just decided that I always might say. It didn't rain, thankfully, and the grass was soft and green. 13 people came from the 30+ I invited. Most people don't check their email, some lived far away, and others had school sports to engage in. So considering that, I think the turnout was just perfect. It was enough so that people didn't have to be doing the same thing all at once to have a sufficient amount of people, so everyone was happy in the activities they engaged in.

I baked cookies for it, and they were quite good. There was soda and chips, a cake that my best friend brought as one of her many presents. Normal party food. Once the people got there we started playing hide and go seek in the trees. The childish game with a bunch of high schoolers made everyone laugh and smile. We played Frisbee and tag, and I played hacky-sack with a crumpled-up class schedule with the two soccer fanatics I invited. I think I held my own considering their prestige in the like. And I forced the party invitees to sit in the grass and play truth or dare. I ended up somersaulting from "the tree to the trash can" as specified by my darer. I got a little dizzy, but it was manageable. Nothing got too wild with the dares, so I was happy and everyone was enjoying themselves without the usual need for outrageous things to happen at parties for immature entertainment.

I am pleased at how well everyone got along. For the most part, they were all from 2 different schools, and yet anyone talking to one another was usually from different schools. The soccer players had things (mainly soccer) in common. My best friend, and one of the first friends I made at my new school had much philosophy and mythology to discuss. I was pleased at how my brother was able to make small conversation with some of the older boys I invited quite close to his age. One of my fellow sophomores who was climbing trees previously got in to a wrestling match with a senior I invited, and he did quite well for the obvious physical advantage to the senior. It was all quite peachy-keen and everyone had a great time.

My father took me out for a steak dinner afterwards and it was quite nice. He scoffed as I asked for mine well-done, but then marvelled at the fact that he asked for his "medium, a little pink" and it was far from that, much less cooked, to fit that description. It's all good, and I got a free Sunday from the restaurant it being my birthday. I got about halfway through it until I couldn't eat another bite.

No comments: