Tuesday, September 9, 2008

my comedic surface area

That's right, it's not just a side! But the volume's contents is unknown thus far.

Alright that was lame, let's move on. This Geometry class must be getting into my head...

One of the most classic, easiest and simplest ways to make a joke is to answer rhetorical questions in completely obscure and unrelated ways. "Guess what!" "You finally DID harpoon that dragon in your backyard?! I remember how you complained about it eating your dog-food." OK maybe it's not that classic, nor is it that simple for the uncreative mind or the person who does not have understanding and obscure friends like I do, or for people who cannot come up with such ingenious original out-of-the-blue ideas at every possible angle and opportunity, but for me personally it is both classic and simple. I find online chatting a much easier place to use this method of comedy to the fullest of it's capability. You don't look as stupid saying something random as in real life, and they end up feeling like the odd one out for not understanding what you are talking about. And you can spend a few seconds thinking about what to say without making it obvious that you are trying to think of something funny. As an added bonus you don't even have to worry about how to say it, so to the reader it makes it seem that you are saying it with either complete seriousness or with severe sarcasm. Either one is hilarious in this circumstance!

This bit is quite discreet, not as funny as you would like it to be, and once you have done it there is no going back. (Unless you write it in pencil, then it's another story.) To all the Middle and High Schoolers out there, this is one you will appreciate and use for many years to come. On the inside cover of most textbooks (at least where I live) you are supposed to write your name, year used, and condition in which it was issued and returned to you. This is in case you lose it and it needs to be given back to you, or there is a filing malfunction and the books have to be checked for whom it was issued to. But I don't lose my books, and a filing problem is rare so I take my chances and write other things in that space.

Issued to: In this section I find it comical to reference to something inside the textbook. If I find an omeba in the science book or an interesting picture of Queen Elizabeth in the history book then I say that it was issued to that, and give the page number.

--------------------------------------------------CONDITION---------
ISSUED TO------------------ DATE -------- ISSUED-------RETURNED

The Ant on Page Two-------no thx--------book---------still a book
The Right Triangle p. 69---the past------horrible------slightly better
Directly Behind You.--------boo!----------old------------new
n/a---------------------------n/a------------n/a-----------n/a
me---------------------------today----------yes------------yes
you, obviously--------------you tell me---ditto----------likewise

Yeah it really isn't that funny. I shouldn't have spent so much time explaining it.

Also in the way of school related comedy purely for self entertainment, is to use lots! of extra! exclamation points! and smiley face =) when doing an assignment (preferably not in English class). The teacher might think that you are enthusiastic about the material, or trying to flirt with them, or have an overly optimistic view on life, but really, you are just being severely severely sarcastic. And severe sarcasm is the best of it's kind! Sure, a little dry humor now and then in good standing is always needed and completely optimal, but severe sarcasm truly lifts my spirits. Not only does it enhance my good mood to be discreetly but still yet protesting the annoying and painfully obvious and repetitive work, but just the sights of the exclamation points and smiley faces is a mood enhancer in itself. Kind of like when you force yourself to smile, it often makes you happier instantaneously. Even though the teacher will most likely not see them, and you'll probably throw away the worksheet after it has been handed back, the second train of thought not regarding the math or history or physics, but still yet tied in and responsive to the work you are doing, makes the work a little easier to do and a little less painful to first begin it. Hell, sometimes when I finish the last problem I am so happy that I am done that the last few exclamation points are truly sincere. =)

Oh, you make it seem like I'm enjoying school! :o OK maybe a little.

Off topic: Damn...this soda isn't caffeinated!! -_-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi - I don't know where you came from to find my blog, but I'm really glad you did. I've read a few of your entries here and they're really entertaining and really,really well written. I can't believe you're just in high school (happy belated birthday, by the way). I'm going to add you to my blogroll and I hope you'll come and visit XUP again, too.