Friday, September 19, 2008

statistics unanalyzed

"You are sooooo good!"

"Well I would hope so, I've been playing this instrument for 6 years. With the amount of time I've wasted on it, I better be good."

And it's true. My approximation is that I have played viola, in total, all my life, for 50 days or more. That is quite awhile, even though it's only about 2% of my time over the last 6 years. I'd say that about 35% of my time over the last 6 years, though it is sad to admit, has been spent sleeping or attempting to sleep. More than 14% of my time has been spent in school. And most likely 5% of it is spent doing homework. 8% of my time is spent eating or cooking. 10% of my time is spent doing other obligated stuff.

That 72% approximation of things that are unavoidable to do leave me with 28% free time. Almost 7 hours on an average day to do whatever I want. That's pretty damn good. But when I think about it, it doesn't seem much of an accomplishment to spend 2% of that playing viola. But...um the fact that I stuck with it shows that I'm determined? I just made myself look like I don't practice at all. =/

Honestly, I probably used to practice an hour a week outside of class, about the same amount I play guitar currently. But I really am practicing more now. Usually once during the school week and once during the weekend, and when I do practice it's usually for more than an hour each time now. Because when I do practice, I enjoy it. Although I enjoy it more when people aren't listening to me, or if they are listening to me they are paying their full attention and not pretending not to be listening.

Oh right. This post was not supposed to be about this! It was supposed to be about the viola itself. Excluding the people in orchestra, when someone takes out a violin or viola it people go "ooh, ahh." And I understand why they do it. When I first began playing I'm sure that's what I thought, and I still think it. Violas and violins are a prestigious, classy, fragile, expensive instrument. If someone accidentally gently bumps into my viola case they say "Oh my god I am soooo sorry!" And for awhile I didn't understand it. "That's why it's in a case, it's fine, don't worry." And really, the case works very well. As long as I have closed it, it is secure and nothing can hurt it. And if you play it so that a nice sound is heard, then people feel like they want to bow in front of you. I understand it, but it makes me laugh every time. I am definitely not the best player, I never had any private lessons, and although I have been 1st chair on many occasions, it is quite easy to do this when playing the viola. A lot of times I am amazed at myself for making such a nice B natural on the A string with my lame vibrato. Although a person experienced in the field would see something in how I could improve my technique, a person who is not would think it sounded nice because my notes are usually very in tune and I play with expression if I really like the song.

yarr

happy talk like a pirate day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm not blind!! It's really nice to know that you enjoy practicing because my daughter plays piano and hasn't really gotten to the point where practicing is something she's eager to do. I'm hoping it will come. Soon

Andy Hamilton said...

man, practicing gets better and better. the better you get at an instrument the more you want to play it, and it's a positive spiral from there.

the viola's a nice instrument too, because it can be mellow and relaxed while also, you know, not (as the situation demands). this might be my first comment on your blog, ever.