Saturday, September 20, 2008

this is a statement.

"As long as one person replies yes, and one person replies no to a collective question, anything anyone else replies has already been covered."

On many occasions a teacher has asked the entirety of the classroom, "Is everyone done?" When this occurs, I look around the classroom and if I see someone obviously still working then I say, especially if they are not responding to the question, so focused on their work, "No." I directly answer the question, even if I am done myself. Not everyone is done, and that person's unfinished status should be accounted for, not drown out by 3/4 of the classroom loudly and obnoxiously saying "YES". I find it highly disrespectful and distressful for the person still working, having to fight to get their answer across.

The question in itself is horribly constructed to ask of a loud unruly crowd of teenagers. The people you are directing the intention of the inquiry is to the theoretical minority of student who are not finished. You already know that there is a large portion who are finished, hence their original question. A better mass announcement would be, "Who is not yet finished?" "Are there any still working?" "Raise your hand if you need more time."

And that's another thing. Why is it impossible for teachers to have a test without at least one statement with a question mark at the end? It is really annoying? It makes no sense? They are up talking? It is impossible to answer something like that without inferring one thing or another? It isn't a question without a question word at the beginning?

Do you see how annoying that is? I mean, I can understand doing it sometimes. Like if I was writing someone's speech or inner-monologue then it might be appropriate, because that is how people think. They say something and then they wonder if it is correct so they add the upward inflection as an afterthought. But in a test? It makes me want to fault them in the space provided instead of answering their statement. "The 100 years war effected the social development in France?" "Show how to find 'x'?" "The word skating is a gerund?" "Translate the following words to Spanish?" "Mold slime is a fungi not a protist?" It just...is one of those things that really, really annoys me.

No comments: