Monday, September 15, 2008

"'omg' 'the' 'dance'"

Yay overuse of quotes!

I went to the first school dance of the year, and the first that I have since enrolled in this high school. And you get a guess. Will I say that it was A) fucking amazing or B) the lamest thing I ever went to place your votes now. Highlight below to reveal the answer!

A!!!!!!!!

Just messing with you, it was pretty lame. Reguadless, I did have fun at some points in the night. Of the estimated 30 people whom attended, I danced with an estimated 15 of them. So I am satisfied. A tall Asian dude who had a pretty definite style danced alone for most of the evening. I began talking with him, commenting on how he danced half the time as if he had a pain in his side and entertained him with the mime-ish and performance art category of my moves.

A slightly less tall Asian dude entertained the entirety of the dance floor with his break moves, whom I had seen trying out for dance team. And in the following practice it turned out he made the team and said he recognized me from the dance last Friday. That, I was semi-pleased with. Only semi because he didn't mention if he found my dancing good or bad, just that he recognized me. But I don't think he would have remembered me had he not specifically seen my killer and signature dance move. (Of which is amazing. I call it "energy source". Maybe I'll make a video of myself doing it and post it.)

Two senior girls I had made friends with earlier in the week were wearing skirts and dancing spaztically. They were quite entertaining so I hung out with them a good portion of the evening. But they left early so I mingled with other bad dancers, and showed off some skills to the backup friend group I had originally met at the doorway.

The DJ was semi-cool. When almost everyone from the originally small crowd had filtered out 15 minutes to the official dance ending time, he asked for a song request. I think I yelled Green Day, somehow being the first thing that came to mind, but I guess he didn't have it. Someone requested Dancing Queen by ABBA, and believe it or not he had THAT. It was quite the scene, about 5 high schoolers dancing and singing along to this song from the 70s. I'm failing to mention the teachers on the floor for a reason, halfway through the song I realized this and got slightly embarrassed at enjoying the song so much. The funniest part was that the taller Asian dude hadn't danced more than a little foot movement the previous song, not his style I guess. But he seemed to get a second whim and really happy when Dancing Queen came on. He got so into it that at the dance's end at 11, someone had to yell to him to get off the dance floor (aka the cafeteria) as he didn't notice he was the only one still there. On that note, I assume the cafeteria is used in lieu of the gym because that amount of people in such a large space would be much more embarrassing and desolate.

Another note concerning the location of the dance. In comparison to my previous school, which made a very defined prohibition of any food or drinks at the dances, there was no such rule here. I'm sure they would have gotten a complaint or two had they done so..."But...but this is the cafeteria! If I can't eat here, where CAN I eat?"

No comments: