Friday, September 26, 2008

mental near death experience

There have only been a few times when I seriously thought, at least for a millisecond, "Oh shit, I'm gonna die." Once when I was in a river, a few times in dreams, and the first time I was about to faint.

Friday morning I was at the bus stop and the bus pulled over and people started getting on. My throat was dry and my head was woozy and there was pressure on the sides of my head and my eyesight was gradually turning to black from the bottom of my field of vision up. I bend down and start having to fight for air, maybe I was hyperventilating from the idea that I was going to faint if I didn't get some water. "Are you OK?" said the shadow next to me. "I need some water." was my response. I held out my hand somehow knowing she had some and at a close distance I could distinguish what kind of bottle it was. I took a sip, handed it back. "Do you want to go home?" "No, I'll go." was my response and I made it on the bus without falling over. My muscles had been aching since I got up 15 minutes prior, and the not being able to see thing was getting to me. I made my way to the usual place on the bus and tried to find a seat that didn't have someone in it. But it was kind of hard. I realized that this one didn't have a black blob in it and this one did, so I sat in the one without one. From the voice, I could tell it was a friend saying said "Hey Z, are you OK?" When I didn't answer, because of my lack of breath, he left me alone. I explained to him the situation the following afternoon. After a few minutes my sight was coming back and I stopped crying. By the time another friend came to sit by me I was seemingly OK.

I figure it's by dehydration, so I made sure I consumed water inbetween every class that day.

Not being able to see really is a scary thing. That is why kids are afraid of the dark and why black is considered an evil color.

If you had to choose, which would you want to keep, your vision or your hearing? Sight is vital, but sound is vital too. I think that the lack of sound would drive me mad, although my inner talking and singing would keep me company, and writing would be a lot easier if I could see. People's voices would comfort me, but the sight of them would perhaps even more. The lack of either creeps me out. I would really really really miss music. Playing it, dancing to it, composing it. But I do think I'd be pretty good at reading lips.

I don't know, it's a very hard question.

No comments: