Saturday, July 12, 2008

12 blocks south

I think of the greatest, the oddest things in the unaccounted for time when riding the public bus. The problem is that I rarely remember what they are.
The reason for this is that most of what I think of are stream of consciousness perceptions that are almost instantaneously replaced by something else in my frontal lobes that seems remotely interesting. I might be very rudely staring at a couple kissing and wonder how exactly they would have met, or wondering what they see in each other. I might be listening to the bus sounds and thinking of a song that would fit well with it some way or another. I might be reading a sign on the bus (I try not to do that too much, it gets real old, real fast). Or my favorite, thinking as if I were a poet viewing the world, trying out what I see in captivating phrases. "Pink petals and cigarette butts are strewn on the sidewalk. A piece of cotton floats past my face, and I don't attempt to catch it. This tree is too crooked or my taste, and the color of that car disgusts me."

I was on the bus thinking about where my next transfer was going to be and calculated that it was supposed to take 9 minutes to get there. "I couldn't possibly go 20 blocks East and 12 blocks South in that amount of time! It's preposterous!"chimed in my inner monologue for no apparent reason in an English accent. But lo and behold, it got there, with about 45 seconds to spare might I add. So, "you can go a long way in 9 minutes". It doesn't sound like much, but I found it somehow profound. I think it was because it was 3:56 to 4:05. Both of those times I would have rounded to 4 o'clock on most occasions, so it seemed like no time at all, and I was nowhere near my destination.
I found you can use this in many aspects. for example: "People can change a lot in 9 years." "Many can be fed with 9 cups of rice." "All can be done with 9 fingers."

yeah...that made no sense. Maybe I should just read a book on the bus.

No comments: