Monday, July 14, 2008

royal impact

High school dance team is not nearly as prestigious as a formal dance class, about as expensive, but much more time wasting. But the bragging rights (included in the team jacket wearing and assembly performance) makes up for it. The social aspect of it is not in the fashion that I would consider beneficial to me. To put it plainly, when I hang out with dumb people, it kind of rubs off. But it's also better than nothing, which is what I had in the way of my dance education preceding my acceptance to the team. Most of what I know I learned from watching TV, or just picked up naturally at the rare middle school dances.
The choreography for tryouts consisting entirely of hip-hop, so I decided to use the other required part of tryouts, an original choreographed dance, to my advantage. I somehow pieced together a routine of jazzy-ish moves that I had seen some place or another and made them think I had taken a class or two. The other girls trying out kept asking me to show them my routine after the hype they heard from the friend who saw me preform. It was satisfactory in that way, and I giggled and screeched along with the girls who made it on afterward as I thought necessary to fit in, and as I actually felt like doing, believe it or not.
This summer we are having practice 2 days a week for an hour and a half. Which means it will be the busiest summer of my life. Don't say it's sad, that alone isn't what's making it that, but it sure adds to it. I have been catching up with friends I haven't seen in months, reading books, swimming, watching movies, keeping up on chores somewhat, and enjoying myself thoroughly. I have never had a summer this productive! I must be doing at least 3 productive things daily! This is amazing! Well if productive counts as doing something other than sleeping, eating, and doodling around on the computer. Going shopping counts as productive in my book, even though it is kind of the opposite.

But I am enjoying myself on the team. I was blown away at how good they were at the assembly, that's why I felt a compulsion to join. Can't wait to get the new choreography on Tuesday.

No comments: