Wednesday, July 9, 2008

don't judge, just listen


I admit I'm a horrible person. I never finished reading Great Expectations.
I think I'm one of those people who like saying that I read books but really doesn't get around to it that often. I mean, when I think about how many books I have actually read, I swear It couldn't be more than 100. I mean I guess that isn't too horrible considering how many years I spent actually able to read above a third grade level...7 years. I put off reading things constantly, but I do like reading and I do like quoting what I read. Half of Great Expectations lead me to get these quotes that I found humorous or profound in some way.

"I looked at the stars, and considered how awful; it would be for a man to turn his face up to them as he froze to death, and see no help or pity in all the glittering multitude."

"My sister's bringing up had made me sensitive. In the little world in which children have their existence whosoever brings them up, there is nothing so finely perceived and so finely felt, as injustice. It may be only small injustice that the child can be exposed to; but the child is small, and its world is small, and its rocking-horse stands as many hands high, according to scale, as a big-boned Irish hunter. Within myself, I had sustained, from my babyhood, a perpetual conflict with injustice. I had known, from the time when I could speak, that my sister, in her capricious and violent coercion, was unjust to me. I had cherished a profound conviction that her bringing me up by hand, gave her no right to bring me up by jerks."

"As the question had no bearing, near or remote, on any foregone or subsequent transactions, I considered it to have been thrown out, like her previous approaches, in general conversational condescension."

"I began to throw my torn-up grass into the river, as if I had some thoughts of following it."

"Heaven knows we need never be afraid of our tears, for they are the rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts."

"He'll give you a wine, and a good wine. I'll give you a punch, and not a bad punch."

"If you have the heart to think so."

"We changed again, and yet again, and it was now too late and too far to go back, and I went on. And the mists had all solemnly risen now, and the world lay spread before me."

Well I read from a copy that had the cover of the picture in the top left, I have a feeling that I would have been more inclined to read the rest had I had a copy with the cover to the right here.

No comments: