Monday, July 21, 2008

a twisted modern mind

I have seen my share of musicals, and a number of plays considering my age and what the normal American sees. But I rarely sit through an entire opera, the fact that the more famous ones are in Italian, a language I have trouble picking Latin roots out of, not helping. (Even with dismissing the fact that they are singing, making it all the more harder.)

While watching the opera Manon on TV, I began to grow bored. (Horrible of me, I know). And I phased in and out of attempting to read the hard to see subtitles, trying to follow the moderately entertaining story line, and focusing in on the orchestral backup. The latter of the three held my interest the best, but still yet I didn't feel the compulsion to watch the entire thing the way I was.

Don't get me wrong, it's true that I do like classical music. How could I play in a school orchestra 6 years thus far without being able to enjoy it? But it's not my forte...more of my mezzo-piano.

I make that joke too much.

Anyway, the idea dawned on me to listen to my own, more modern and much more enjoyable music in my taste, to the opera. The young girl and her boyfriend (I presume?) were singing all about how they can no longer contain themselves, the sexual attraction between them was too much to not act on. And at this point I had gotten out my mp3 player and put it on shuffle. What come on but "The Way You Like It (Sex U Up)" by L.F.O. I have no idea where I got this song, but I like it. It's a rip-off of the boy bands in the early '00s.

So anyway, I'm sure a lot of other songs could have also fit the scene. Modern music is mostly about sex, but I found the situation too funny to not let the song run. I imagined the man in the opera singing this in his grey wig and fitted Italian old-timey suit. "I wanna sex u up, I know the way you like it. Let me freak u out. Uh uh, uh uh."

I didn't want to ruin the moment so I waited until the end of the scene to laugh.

No comments: